31 October, 2011

SuperSonic weekend

The Fall Festival at the elementary school was fun. I spent my weekend with Brenda and Chris, their kids Tucker and Aniah and their superSonic dog. Attended a baby shower (the baby is due on our Independence Day), went to Primitive Baptist Church, ate oysters for the first time.

I was absolutely and horribly tired Friday evening, however, the tiredness somehow disappeared when I got to my hosts' house near Sparta - they live on Pioneer Ridge Road. I should have gotten a picture of that. The house is actually quite new but it kind of blends into the landscape as if it had been there for centuries.

I loved playing games with the kids and I had a lot of fun because Chris has wonderful sense of humor. They complimented me on my English language. It's always nice to hear things like that. I learned a new expression: "to run a joke into the ground" - I think I do that a lot...
The gift "cake" made of diapers.
Brenda took me to a Baby Shower in Sparta on Saturday. The people were all very nice and the snacks were good. I liked the gifts and decorations - they were lovely. Baby showers make me wonder if Estonians are a bit superstitious - I didn't even want to tell people I'm pregnant until there was only a couple of months left but they have a Baby Shower here when the baby boy is due on Feb 24.

After getting back from Baby Shower they drove me around and took me to the shore of the New River. I've mentioned it in my very first post about the US here. The weird thing about the New River is that it's one of the oldest rivers in the world. I wish I had had time and opportunity to travel in a boat on the river... I'd like to see that bridge across the New River.

I have officially been to five states in the US now: Washington DC (taxation without representation), North Carolina (First in Fight), Georgia (well I spent about 2 hours at the Atlanta airport), Illinois (Chicago) and
VIRGINIA
I absolutely adore the landscape here near Sparta - it's hilly. Sometimes it reminds me of 

Ă–stersundSweden or Alsfeld, Germany - the places that I've really loved...

I wouldn't mind having a house here with the view of the valley and mountains!

Today in the morning we went to the Primitive Baptist Church near Sparta. I sort of liked it but after about 1.5 hours the sermon was getting a bit tedious because the guy who was speaking was really old and monotonous. However, the songs were nice and the fact that the sermon ended by everyone shaking hands with everybody else in the room and saying "Bless you" was really heart-warming. I think I'm totally blessed for the next week. At least I hope so.

The evening was sensational because I ate OYSTERS for the first time in my life. I got them out of the shell and I even tried a raw one with some hot sauce. The cooked ones were really delicious. I met a lot of nice people with whom I will hopefully communicate via FB or maybe Skype.

Time for bed now. Tomorrow I have to be at school again and teach. 
There will be a post about the school-life as well ... SOON.

1 comment:

Kristel said...

I'm happy to read that your weekend was full of positive experiences. Three more days to go... See you in Boone on Wednesday :)